from Historical Ziegfeld
Dr. Gustav Zander founded the institute in the late nineteenth century and stocked it with twenty-seven of his custom-built machines. It was the first “gym” in the sense that we know the word today.
Electro-physiology sessions (Mecanisme de la Physionomie Humaine ou Analyse Electro-Physiologique de L’Expression des Passions, Paris, 1862) conducted by Dr. Duchenne and photographed by Adrien Tournachon (brother of the better known Gaspard Felix Tournachon, aka Nadar)
photo by O.G.Mason
Louis A. Sayre, MD, with a Woman in a Suspension Device for Treating Scoliosis, London, 1877, photographer unknown
From A Morning’s Work: Medical Photographs from the Burns Archive & Collection, 1843-1939